Estates Lawyer in Rochester New York
Compassionate Guidance from an Estate Planning and Administration Lawyer in Rochester New York
Whether a loved one’s recent passing has affected you or you have just received a devastating diagnosis, thinking about end-of-life decisions can be confusing and scary. At The Law Offices of Ronald J. Axelrod & Associates, P.C. in Rochester, NY, our compassionate, knowledgeable and experienced estate planning lawyers help you craft an effective plan that helps provide for your care and protects your wealth and your family while assuring the continuity of your legacy. Our legal team understands the sensitivity of these issues and will carefully guide you through the process of creating a customized estate plan. We also assist executors, trustees both in and out-of-state with the administration process, once some has passed.
Building a Strong Estate Plan
New York recognizes the right of its citizens to communicate their values regarding their end-of-life care and how their property is handled in case of disability or death. Our knowledgeable estate planning lawyers can draft and review documents such as:
- Wills – The will is the cornerstone most estate plans and dictates what will happen to your property after your passing. If you fail to prepare a will, your property may be distributed according to New York’s intestacy laws.
- Trusts – A testamentary trust is a legal document that is part of your will and provides specific information about how your property should be managed when you pass away. Many people use a living trust, which is a will substitute, for their estate planning needs. The living trust provides for the management of your assets while you are alive and healthy, if you become disabled and when you have passed away. It is a very effective estate planning tool in the right circumstance.
- Power of attorney – A power of attorney is a powerful instrument that allows you to delegate financial decision-making authority to a trusted person in case you are unavailable or disabled.
- Health care proxy – A health care proxy appoints a person to make important decisions regarding your health care when you are unable to make these decisions for yourself.
- Living will – A living will provides directions for your end-of-life care and communicates your values.
Guiding You Through the Probate Process
New York’s probate system is complicated and involves many steps. Our knowledgeable probate lawyers can help you with the following:
- Preparing a Petition to submit the decedent’s Will to the Court to commence the probate process and have the Executor formally appointed.
- Identify the decedent’s next of kin and people entitled to notice of the appointment of an executor
- Identify and help value the estate assets and validate any outstanding debts.
- Coordinate with the decedent’s accountant and financial planner to locate assets and identify beneficiaries.
- Assist in preparing receipts of legacies and preparing final paperwork to close out the estate.
Along the way, there may be challenges to the will or to your authority as an executor. Our dedicated estate planning lawyers will professionally handle various aspects of the administration process and efficiently handle the administration process so that you can avoid delays and unnecessary expenses.
Consult a Trusts and Estates Lawyer in Rochester New York
At The Law Offices of Ronald J. Axelrod & Associates, P.C. in Rochester, NY, we can help you with every aspect of your estate plan or the settlement of your estate. We will work diligently to identify the best legal solutions for you that address your needs, anticipate potential legal issues and devise a plan to confront them. Contact us to schedule a confidential consultation with an experienced Rochester, New York estate planning lawyer.